scruple – a doubt or hesitation that troubles the conscience or that comes from the difficulty of determining whether something is right
I think it is about time we took a break from the Anthony case to have a bit of fun. Things are fairly quiet at the moment and we just finished discussing voire dire. We had some great comments on that topic and I thank each and every one of you for your contributions.
We expect potential jurors to tell the truth when it comes to answering the questions posed to them. We also hope they have scruples and do what is right or what they believe to be the right thing. I suppose a few of you have played the game, Scruples. Although, I never had the chance to play it, I have heard it can be a barrel of fun.
Now I want to find out just how honest you are and if you have scruples. Remember this is all in fun so don’t just say what you think would make you appear to be that perfect, law abiding, wonderful person. I promise what you say will not be held against you, here or in a court of law.
I am going to start you off with three questions. You may pick one or answer all three, if your heart so chooses.
If you have a question that you would like to get answered, feel free to email it to me. I can put them up in the post. I will number the questions so in your response, you can quote the number or copy the question and answer it in the comment box.
NOW BE HONEST….REAL HONEST…TO GOODNESS!!
1. You’re at a hotel and conference center. You’ve arrived to your meeting early, and have not had a chance to eat breakfast yet. On your way to your meeting room, you walk by another meeting and there’s a table full of food and beverages outside the room. Your meeting has no food. Would you help yourself?
2. You accidentally receive a confidential email about your manager about to be laid off. You know he is about to close on an expensive house
3. You’re traveling in Elbonia on business when you’re invited to a feast by shepherds. You’re given the sheep’s eyeball, the greatest delicacy. To refuse it is the greatest insult. Everyone’s watching. Do you gulp it down?
4. Your manager congratulates you for a brilliant suggestion and hints at a promotion. Your employee gave you the idea. Do you mention this to the manager?
5. A colleague is out of her office. You notice her paycheck stub on her desk. Do you glance at it?
6. As a joke, a co-worker sends anonymous love letters to another co-worker who takes them seriously. Everyone is enjoying the prank. Do you expose it?
7 . A disgruntled worker is brandishing an automatic weapon. You’re near a door. If you try to warn others you may not escape. Do you save yourself?
8 . You’re playing tennis with your manager for the first time. You’re winning and your manager is getting angry. Do you let him win?
9 . You decide not to hire someone because he’s wearing a nose ring. When he asks why he didn’t make it, do you give the real reason?